Review: Minder


A copy of Minder (UK) can be purchased at Amazon, AbeBooks and The Book Depository

Author: Kate Kaynak
Publishers: Spencer Hill Press
Summary: Sixteen-year-old Maddie Dunn is special, but she needs to figure out how to use her new abilities before somebody else gets hurt. Ganzfield is a secret training facility full of people like her, but it's not exactly a nurturing place. Every social interaction carries the threat of mind-control. A stray thought can burn a building to the ground. And people's nightmares don't always stay in their own heads. But it's still better than New Jersey--especially once she meets the man of her dreams
First Line: I felt the eyes on the back of my head, like a too-warm itch within my skull.
Check out the Website and the awesome Book Trailer

This was my very first advanced copy of a book (ARGH! It was signed!) and I was incredibly excited. I jumped up and down when the book arrived! I swear when you stare at the book cover, it looks like the two faces are moving closer towards each other! Mind= blown.

 The book gets straight into the action as we are first introduced to Maddie while she is running for her life. Maddie has to find a way to deal with her special, unique powers. She is enrolled into Ganzfield- a private school for the gifted. The students can use their minds to start fire, move objects or compel other people. I liked the descriptions of each unique power, especially the mind control. I really started to love Maddie when she went out of her way to improve the lives of the other students. 

The relationship between Maddie and Trevor was intense! I think it was very sweet, loving and caring relationship. The love connection between both characters was instant.

The pacing was out of place at times, I wanted some bits to speed up and others to slow down. But, the plot was well constructed and tight, leaving little room for plot holes. The climax of the novel took me by surprise, which I loved! There is plenty of action and love to swoon over.

I liked Kaynak honest and intriguing descriptions of all her characters-- good and bad. I was fond of the ensemble cast, and the number of different characters didn't overwhelm me as the characters were fleshed out well. 

The suspense and mystery kept me interested and the ending was fulfilling! Overall, a compelling exciting new series to keep your eye out for!

1 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

Great review-- I want to read this now!